Address: Molecular Otolaryngology and Renal Research Laboratories
5296 CBRB, 285 Newton Road, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA52246
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a Senior Scientist at the MORL. I received my Master of Science in Biological Engineering and my Ph.D. in Human Molecular Genetics at the University of Sfax in Tunisia conjointly with the University of Iowa. After completing a postdoc at the MORL, I went back to my home country Tunisia as an Assistant Professor at the Pasteur Institute of Tunis where I focused on characterizing the genetic spectrum of orphan diseases in the Tunisian population. I returned to Iowa City in 2012 where I am currently leading the Hearing research and diagnostics teams at MORL.
- Azaiez H, Booth KT, Ephraim SS, Crone B, Black-Ziegelbein EA, Marini RJ, Shearer AE, Sloan-Heggen CM, Kolbe D, Casavant T, Schnieders MJ, Nishimura C, Braun T, Smith RJH (2018) Genomic Landscape and Mutational Signatures of Deafness-Associated Genes. Am J Hum Genet. 2018 Oct 4;103(4):484-497.
- Booth KT, Azaiez H, Kahrizi K, Wang D, Zhang Y, Frees K, Nishimura C, Najmabadi H, Smith RJ. (2018) Exonic mutations and exon skipping: Lessons learned from DFNA5. Hum Mutat. 2018 Mar;39(3):433-440.
- Booth KT, Kahrizi K, Babanejad M, Daghagh H, Bademci G, Arzhangi S, Zareabdollahi D, Duman D, El-Amraoui A, Tekin M, Najmabadi H, Azaiez H*, Smith RJ* (2018) Variants in CIB2 cause DFNB48 and not USH1J. Clin Genet. 93(4):812-821. *Co-corresponding authors
- Sloan-Heggen CM, Bierer AO, Shearer AE, Kolbe DL, Nishimura CJ, Frees KL, Ephraim SS, Shibata SB, Booth KT, Campbell CA, Ranum PT, Weaver AE, Black-Ziegelbein EA, Wang D, Azaiez H, Smith RJ (2016) Comprehensive genetic testing in the clinical evaluation of 1119 patients with hearing loss. Hum Genet 135(4):441-50
- Azaiez H, Decker AR, Booth KT, Simpson AC, Shearer AE, Huygen PL, Bu F, Hildebrand MS, Ranum PT, Shibata SB, Turner A, Zhang Y, Kimberling WJ, Cornell RA, Smith RJ (2015) HOMER2, a Stereociliary Scaffolding Protein, is Essential for Normal Hearing in Humans and Mice. PLOS Genetics 27:11(3)
- Azaiez H, Yang T, Prasad S, Sorensen JL, Nishimura CJ, Kimberling WJ, Smith RJ (2007) Genotype-phenotype correlations for SLC26A4-related deafness. Human Genetics 122: 451-457
- Azaiez H, Chamberlin GP, Fischer SM, Welp CL, Prasad SD, Taggart RT, del Castillo I, Van Camp G, Smith RJ (2004) GJB2: the spectrum of deafness-causing allele variants and their phenotype. Human Mutation 24: 305-311